1713/14, March 25: John
Jenney deeds land to “the people of
God called Presbyterians” for a
burial ground next to the
meetinghouse at the village of
1724: A road is laid out from
Susannah Hathaway’s orchard to the
vicinity of Lt. Seth Pope’s house.
It will be known as the Back Road
and Head-of-the-River Road before
getting the name Alden Road.
1726, March 17: Lt. Seth Pope
dies at the age of 79.
1728, February 25: A road is
laid out from Susannah Hathaway’s
orchard southward along what is now
northern Main Street and Adams
Street to about Spring Street.
1760, October 20: Elnathan
Pope sells twenty waterfront acres
of his farm to Noah Allen and
thirteen other investors. Divided
into 40 lots, the “Twenty-Acre
Purchase” develops into Fair-Haven
1760, December 12: William
Wood sells Elnathan Eldredge 6 acres
of land on the Acushnet River west
of present-day Cherry Street. This
“little town at ye foot of William
Wood’s homestead,” with its thirty
lots, becomes the nucleus of Oxford
1765, May 30: Elnathan Pope
sells whaling merchant Joseph Rotch
about 86 acres of farmland directly
east of Fair-Haven Village. The
Rotch family will keep this land off
the market for about 65 years.
1775, April 21: Two days
after the “Lexington Alarm,” three
companies of Dartmouth militia march
to Roxbury to join forces from
throughout New England who are
gathering outside Boston.
1775, May 13-14: Under the
command of Nathaniel Pope and Daniel
Egery, a group of 25 Fairhaven
minutemen aboard the sloop
Success capture two British
vessels in Buzzards Bay. This is the
first naval battle of the American
1775, June: Construction
begins on a fort at Nolscott Point
under the supervision of
brothers-in-law Eleazer Hathaway and
1778, September 5-6: The
British land 4,000 troops on the
west side of the Acushnet River.
They burn ships and warehouses in
Bedford Village, skirmish at the
Head-of-the-River bridge, and march
through Fairhaven to Sconticut Neck,
burning several homes along the way.
The fort is abandoned and it is
destroyed by the enemy troops. An
attack on Fair-Haven Village is
repelled by militia under the
command of Major Israel Fearing who
had marched from Wareham with
1787, February 23: The town
of New Bedford, including Fairhaven
and Acushnet, is incorporated.
1790, June 7: The proprietors
of a Congregational meeting house
purchase a lot on the
northeast corner of Main and Center
streets from Benjamin and Joseph
Church for the construction of a
church. The Second Church of Christ
is built in 1794.
1795: A bridge is built
across the Herring River and Main
Street is extended northward from
Fairhaven Village to Oxford.
1796: Construction of the
first Fairhaven-New Bedford Bridge
1800, May 1: The New Bedford
(later Fairhaven) Academy opens.
This private school is located on
the west side of Main Street, north
of Bridge Street.
1807, April: A fierce spring
storm brings tides up to ten feet
higher than normal, causing a great
deal of damage to the Fairhaven-New
1807: The Methodist Episcopal
Church of Fairhaven is organized and
meets at Head-of-the-River.
1808: Fort Phoenix is
reconstructed with granite walls.
1812, February 22: The town
of Fairhaven, including Acushnet, is
incorporated. Joseph Tripp is the
first Town Clerk. Selectmen are
Stephen Tripp, James Taber and
1814, June 13: In the early
morning hours an attack on Fairhaven
is attempted by landing boats
launched from the British raider
Nimrod. The militia gathers, alerted
by the firing of the guns at Fort
Phoenix. The British do not come
1815, September 23: A
hurricane destroys the Fairhaven-New
Bedford Bridge, Samuel Borden's
bridge from Eldredge Lane to Crow
Island, and a great deal of other
property along the shore. Town Clerk
Levi Jenney's office is washed from
Union Wharf and the first three
years of Fairhaven's official
records are lost.
1824: The town buys property
in North Fairhaven from Noah Spooner
for use as a “Poor Farm.”
1828, March 17: A contract is
signed by a committee from Oxford
Village, for the construction of a
stone schoolhouse in District No.
11. The building on North Street is
the first of the district schools to
be built in Fairhaven.
1828, June 30: The town pays
Enoch S. Jenney $75 for about an
acre of his property on Main Street
in North Fairhaven for the creation
of Woodside Cemetery. Jenney sells
burial lots privately on a second
acre immediately to the south.
1830: A Methodist church is
built on the west side of Main
Street south of Oxford Village.
1831, April 19: The Fairhaven
Bank (later the National Bank of
Fairhaven) is incorporated. The
following day, Ezekiel Sawin is
elected as the bank president.
1831, November 26: The town
votes to hold future Town Meetings
at the Fairhaven Academy.
1832, February 10: The
Fairhaven Institution for Savings is
incorporated. Ezekiel Sawin is
elected president of the bank.
1832, December 15: Built with
funds provided by Warren Delano I,
Jabez Delano Jr. and Joseph Bates
Jr., the Washington Street Christian
Meetinghouse on the northwest corner
of Washington and Walnut streets is
dedicated. (This will later become a
1838: This year Fairhaven is
ranked the second largest whaling
port in America. Twenty-four vessels
sailed from town during the course
of the year.
1840, January 29: Henry
Huttleston Rogers is born to Rowland
and Mary E. (Huttleston) Rogers.
1840, October 14: Joseph
Bates Jr. participates in the first
“General Conference on the Coming of
the Lord Jesus Christ,” held in
1841, January 3: Herman
Melville sails from Fairhaven aboard
the new whaleship Acushnet.
1841, March: At the
invitation of Joseph Bates Jr.,
William Miller presents a series of
lectures on the Second Coming of
Christ at the Washington Street
Christian Church. A number of
worshippers break from the church
and form a Second Advent Society.
1843: A new Town House is
built on the northeast corner of
Main and Hawthorn streets for
$2,300. It is the location of Town
Meetings until it is burned in 1858.
1843, May 7: The whaleship
John Howland, Captain William H.
Whitfield, returns to port with
young Manjiro Nakahama, who had been
rescued from a Pacific island during
the voyage. Manjiro becomes the
first Japanese person to live in
America and later gains prominence
upon his return to Japan.
1845, September 3: The new,
brick First Congregational Church on
the northwest corner of Center and
William streets is dedicated.
1850, July 7: River-Side
Cemetery is consecrated. It has been
created on property donated by
Warren Delano II, whose father
becomes the first president of the
cemetery’s board of trustees.
1851: The town purchases the
former Methodist Church on Main
Street, at a cost of $1,000, for use
as a high school. Another $4,500 is
spent to adapt and outfit the
1852, January 26: Classes
begin for the first time at
Fairhaven High School.
1853, April 29: Iron arrives
from Newport, Wales, for the
construction of the Fairhaven Branch
1853, September 29: Phoenix
Hall is dedicated. The upper story
had been the original Congregational
Church, built in 1794. The building
was jacked up, turned 90 degrees,
and stores were built below.
1860, February 13: The
northern part of Fairhaven is
incorporated as the Town of
1861, September 30: Twenty
-one year old Henry Huttleston
Rogers leaves Fairhaven to seek his
fortune in the oil fields of
1864: The American Nail
Machine Co. of Boston purchases the
former Rodman Wharf property on Fort
1867: The American Nail
Machine Co. is reorganized as the
American Tack Company.
1869, September 8: Between
4:00 and 7:00 p.m., a hurricane
strikes, destroying the
Fairhaven-New Bedford Bridge. The
one-hundred foot wooden spire atop
the First Congregational Church is
blown down. This has been an
important landmark to mariners
returning to port.
1872, February 6: The New
Bedford and Fairhaven Street Railway
is chartered and horse drawn trolley
service to Fairhaven begins in
1872, December 12: The
Concordia Masonic Lodge is formed.
1879, February 18: Charles D.
Waldron begins publishing the weekly
Star from his home on Oxford Street.
1880, October 7: At Algonac,
the Delano family estate at
Newburgh, NY, Sara Delano, daughter
of Warren Delano II, becomes the
second wife of James Roosevelt.
1883, January 29: The
constitution and by-laws are adopted
for the Fairhaven Improvement
Association. The first president is
1885, September 3: Rogers
School is dedicated. It is the first
public building donated to the town
by Henry Huttleston Rogers.
1890: Construction begins on
the Coggeshall Street Bridge.
1893, January 30: On what
would have been the 20th birthday of
Millicent Gifford Rogers, the
deceased daughter of Henry H.
Rogers, the Millicent Library is
1893: The town sells 30 acres
of the “Town Farm” west of Main
Street to developers who intend to
build homes for mill workers.
1893: Henry H. Rogers founds
the Fairhaven Water Company and
construction of the public water
system is begun.
1894, February 22: The
Fairhaven Town Hall, a gift of Abbie
Palmer (Gifford) Rogers, is
dedicated, with Henry Huttleston
Rogers’ friend Mark Twain delivering
a humorous speech. Three months
later on May 21, Abbie Rogers dies
in New York following surgery for
1895: Electric trolley cars
begin service in Fairhaven.
1896, June 1: The Selectmen
and School Committee award a
contract for the construction of
Oxford School to Brownell and
Murkland of New Bedford.
1902: The new Fairhaven-New
Bedford Bridge is completed.
1905, May 21: The first
Catholic Mass in Fairhaven is
celebrated at Phoenix Hall by the
Fathers of the Sacred Hearts.
1906, February 11: The
original St. Joseph’s Church, on the
southwest corner of Spring and Adams
streets, is dedicated.
1906, April 11: In an
informal ceremony on the 50th
anniversary of his graduation from
Fairhaven High School, Henry
Huttleston Rogers, with family,
close friends and town
officials, dedicates the new
Fairhaven High School, the last
public building he donated to his
1908, June 21: The
cornerstone is laid for the Church
of the Sacred Hearts at the
southwest corner of Main and Dover
1911, September 10: Sacred
Hearts Academy opens on Main Street
in North Fairhaven.
1917, June 26: The town
appropriates $38,000 for the
building of the Job C. Tripp
1918: July 4: In a ceremony
at Fairhaven High School stadium,
Japanese Ambassador Kikujiro Ishii
presents a samurai sword to
Fairhaven on behalf of Dr. Toichiro
Nakahama, the son of Manjiro
1920, September: The original
Fairhaven High School on the west
side of Main Street opposite the new
High School is demolished.
1921, October 15:
Construction of the 8-room Edmund E.
Anthony Jr. elementary school is
1924: Fairhaven establishes a
Planning Board and begins the
process of zoning properties.
1925, March 1: The first Mass
at St. Mary’s Church in North
Fairhaven is celebrated by Fr.
Charles De Baetselier.
1925, May 3: The new St.
Joseph’s Church on the northwest
corner of Spring and Adams streets
1929: New Bedford businessman
John Duff sells 90 acres on the west
side of Mill Road to Sound Airways,
which will operate an airport
serving Fairhaven and New Bedford.
1935, September 3: Passenger
service of the Fairhaven railroad
line is discontinued.
1936, October 21: President
and Mrs. Franklin Delano Roosevelt
pay their last visit to the Delano
Family Homestead at 39 Walnut Street
following a campaign speech in New
1938, September 21: The
“Great New England Hurricane of
1938,” the region’s worst storm of
the century, strikes Fairhaven,
destroying about 400 homes.
1940, June 8: The last
Fairhaven electric trolley line,
North Fairhaven, is replaced with a
1943, November: The Fairhaven
Boys Club is granted permission to
use the first floor of the former
Washington Street School.
1946, January 19: The Centre
Methodist Church on the northeast
corner of Center and Walnut streets
is destroyed by fire.
1953, March 30: Railroad days
in town come to an end when the New
York, New Haven and Hartford
Railroad closes the Fairhaven line.
1958, July: Congress
authorizes the construction of the
Hurricane Barrier to protect the
inner harbor from destructive tidal
surges during storms.
1962, July 29: The Fairhaven
Sesquicentennial Parade and an
evening band concert in Cushman Park
cap a week-long celebration of the
Town of Fairhaven’s 150th
1967, June 1: Fairhaven
Junior High School officially
becomes Elizabeth I. Hastings Junior
High School in honor of its
principal, who celebrates her 69th
birthday the same day.
1968, March 14: Charles
Pittle sells to Berdon Inc. the
property which will become
Fairhaven’s first large-scale
shopping plaza. Mammoth Mart opens
in Berdon Plaza later in the year.
1968, September 28: An
agreement is signed allowing the
town to take over the Fairhaven
Water Company. The company's stock,
held by the Millicent Library, is
transferred to the town.
1972, April 25: The 4th Old
Dartmouth Militia, a historical
re-enacting group formed by Donald
R. Bernard, is incorporated.
1977: The Fairhaven K-Mart
1981, June: The Job C. Tripp
elementary school is closed.
1987, October 4: Japanese
Crown Prince Akihito and his wife
Princess Michiko visit Fairhaven.
1990, February 21: The U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency
places the 20-acre Atlas Tack
property on its National Priorities
or "Superfund" cleanup list.
April 1, 1991: Ruth Galary
becomes the first woman in the
town’s history to be elected to the
Board of Selectmen.